I had the clearest skin before I started to use makeup, especially foundation on a regular basis. Two years back, I got myself L’oreal infallible and used it almost daily. What I didn’t realize was that it was clogging my pores and locking up the dirt in them. I started to have breakouts for the first time ever and I panicked like most of the girls out there.
Reading ‘Desi’ remedies to apply lemon juice, baking soda and what not to get rid of the pimples became my favorite thing to do. I even applied toothpaste to my blemishes. Everything seemed to worsen my acne only. Then, when the situation kind of got out of my hands, I had to visit the dermatologist.
The dermatologist gave me a treatment which I used for about three months and I could see little difference in my skin. I was still not fully satisfied, so I decided to research on what was causing this problem and how I could improve my overall skin for good.
I came across many reasons of acne-prone and oily skin which I am listing down for you:
Sleeping with the Makeup On
Never ever sleep with the makeup on, no matter what. I realized that even though I merely washed my face as a formality at night, a lot of foundation and dirt would still linger on to my skin which turned into a giant zit the next morning. Only a good nighttime skincare routine could fix it and that is what I followed.
Even if you do not have some amazing daytime skincare routine, make sure you sleep with a clean skin with no dirt or oil that it absorbed throughout the day left behind. Here is the night time routine that I personally follow:
- Use a water-based cleanser (oil-based for dry skin) to remove your makeup completely.
- Wash your face with your favorite face wash.
- Apply a pore-cleansing mask twice a week.
- Exfoliate your skin (Only twice a week)
- Apply a toner after you are done you have washed the mask off.
- Apply a gel-based moisturizer (or cream-based for dry skin) daily at night. NEVER skip this step. Make sure you apply it on damp skin
- Apply nighttime rejuvenating serum
- Once everything is settled into the skin, apply tea tree oil to the pimples ONLY with the help of a cotton bud or your finger. Check out the detailed post on tea tree oil I wrote last week. 🙂
Trying Out Too Many Products At Once
I tried changing my face wash many times and whenever I did, my skin started to break out. The reason behind it is that the skin gets used to some products, if you keep using them on a regular basis. If you want to prevent breakouts, choose a few of your favorite skincare products and stick to them ONLY.
The products that I personally LOVE in my skincare routine are:
- Aloe Wipes for Removing Makeup
- Clean and Clear Gentle Exfoliating Face Wash
- Aztec Indian Healing Clay (Mask)
- Rose water as a toner
- Belif Aqua Bomb – The true cream (Moisturizer)
- Mana Beauty Angel Glow Night Cream
- Mana Beauty Rejuvenating Serum
- Mana Beauty Eye cream
- The Body Shop Tea Tree Oil for Blemishes ONLY
Lack of Water Intake
Another reason for acne is excess oil on skin and it is only produced when the skin is dehydrated. In order to keep the skin hydrated, you have got to do two things.
- Drink 8 to 9 glasses of water, no matter what. Add Chia seeds to your water, if possible. Chia seeds are great for cooling down the system and removing the toxins from the body. If your internal system will be cool and toxin-free, it will definitely show on your skin as well.
- Never skip a moisturizer no matter how oily your skin is. Dehydrated skin is one of the major reasons of acne. Use a gel-based moisturizer for your acne prone and only skin only.
The Last Words
I hope you found this article helpful. I would highly request you guys to never experiment too much on your skin before knowing your skin type and the root cause behind the problem. Be aware of how your skin works and figure out the products that work for you and just stick by them! If you have any queries, leave a comment below. J